Okay so the filling is homemade, but I long ago gave up on making my own pie crusts, why get myself all frustrated and pissed off when I don’t have to? Maybe I’ll have it figured out by the time I’m a grandma! This is Tyler’s second favorite pie (blueberry is his most favorite) and I use his mom’s recipe, which is pretty basic but very delicious! I took some pictures of the different steps for once to share with you.
not so secret ingredient
I am horrible at peeling whole apples, so I use my apple slicer to slice them into wedges and then peel them from there, fast and *almost* foolproof.
toss in the dry ingredients
lalalalala stir it up….
begin the assembling process! Butter on top of the apples, don’t forget to do this before you add the top crust (I almost always forget!)
time to up the cute factor, courtesy of Pampered Chef!
whoops, probably should of put the apple cut outs closer to the center…
brushed the top with a bit of milk
ready for baking! I have this nifty Pampered Chef crust guard I use, it lines up well with my deep dish Pampered Chef pie plate
The finished product, hot and fresh from the oven!
Homemade Apple Pie (family recipe)
2 nine inch pie crusts
6 cups peeled and sliced granny smith apples
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup flour
dash of salt
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
2 T butter
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine apples, and all ingredients except for the butter in a large bowl, stir until apples are coated.
3. Place first pie crust in the bottom of the pie plate
4. Add filling.
5. Cut butter into small piece and sprinkle across the top of the filling.
6. Place top crust and seal edges.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then 35-45 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. Let cool, then eat! (with ice cream unless you are a weirdo like my husband!)