When Tyler told me the name of this dish I was a bit skeptical but figured I’d give it a try. Typically not a fan of squash but I loved it in this dish. We served it over couscous with some scallions mixed in. Great dinner, and great for lunch the next day too!
Beef Tagine with Butternut Squash (from Cooking Light)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) beef shoulder roast or petite tender roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beef; toss well to coat.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and shallots; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Add squash; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.