Tomatoes are ripening left and right and we decided to take advantage! Not only did the grape tomatoes come from our garden but the parsley did as well. We actually didn’t have espresso powder on hand but the steak was very flavorful without it.
Chili-Espresso Rubbed Steaks with Warm Tomato Sauce (from Cooking Light)
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (12-ounce) flat-iron steaks
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1. Combine first 6 ingredients; stir well. Rub spice mixture evenly over both sides of steaks; cover and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
3. Place steaks on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill; let stand 10 minutes.
4. Place tomatoes and remaining ingredients in a mini chopper or blender; process until coarsely chopped. Spoon tomato mixture into a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Cut steaks diagonally across grain into thin slices. Place 3 ounces steak on each of 4 plates (roughly 2/3 of cooked meat). (Reserve remaining steak for Sunday brunch.) Top each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce.