Cooking Light delivers once again! We typically do not make chicken in the pan, due to past experiences where it got dry or unevenly cooked, however Tyler pounded the chicken thoroughly and followed the recipe and it turned out great! Very juicy and flavorful, and really it’s impossible for me to dislike a recipe with mushrooms in it! This was a fast dish to make, under 30 minutes from prep to plate.
Mushroom-Herb Chicken (from Cooking Light)
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 large shallots, peeled
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/3-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; coat with cooking spray. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until browned.
2. While chicken cooks, cut shallots vertically into thin slices. Remove chicken from pan. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and shallots to pan; coat vegetables with cooking spray. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in sherry and marjoram. Return chicken to pan; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and chicken is done. Transfer chicken to a platter. Pour mushroom mixture over chicken; sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Approximately 5 WW points in one half chicken breast + 1/3rd cup of sauce.