Ya’ll, this soup is simply amazing. Thanks a million to Nemmie who brought this soup to Cooking Club last week. It is my new favorite! Easy to whip up in less than an hour.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
– 3 Tbsp. butter
– 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
– 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 lb. ground turkey
– 1 c. flour
– Lots of portabella mushrooms, cut into chunks*
– Lots of button mushrooms, cut into chunks*
– Lots of any other mushrooms you love, cut into chunks*
* Okay, to be fair: you’ll need about a pound or so of mushroom chunks total, your preference
– About 4-6 c. milk, stock, or half-n-half (depending on the flavor/healthiness/thickness you want; I tend to do a mixture of all three)
– Salt and ground pepper
Add the butter to a large heavy pot on the stovetop over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to the melted butter, and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey and brown. Add flour and make the mixture thick, get that flour mixed into the turkey really well (you’ll have a thick, sticky, lumpy mass on your hands. That is fine, it’s what you want).
Add mushrooms and cook for awhile, until juices and flavor are released (about 15 minutes). Slowly add your liquid of choice (milk/broth/half-n-half). Cook until thickened as desired while on medium heat, stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.