I know everyone and their mom has made this orzo recipe by now (at least in my small food blogging circle) but I always come in late in the game Tyler offered to make dinner tonight but we ended up cooking together so we could eat sooner. We make a pretty good team most of the time! He prepared the chicken (parmesan dijon chicken, one of our faves) and I whipped up the orzo and the green beans. Both of which I oversalted, whoops. Still yummy though, just needed a big glass of water to wash it down!
Orzo with Parmesan and Basil (original recipe from allrecipes.com)
- 2 tablespoons butter\
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt (go easy, especially if you didn’t use low sodium chicken broth) and pepper. Transfer to shallow bowl. Garnish with basil sprigs.