Love that stuff! It’s pasta shaped like rice…so cute and so versatile! I decided to liven up our oh so gourmet dinner of hot dogs and baked beans with an orzo salad. This recipe of Joelen’s was my inspiration and I got my recipe for the dressing from allrecipes.com. Very tasty result! We will probably take the leftovers with us on a picnic this weekend when we go to watch an outdoor performance of Footloose. I can’t wait. Tune in tomorrow to see the dessert I’m whipping up for this picnic. I’ll leave you in suspense til then
Orzo Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette.
1 1/2 cups orzo cooked (that’s 1 1/2 cups before cooking)
chopped black olives (as much or as little as you like)
chopped celery (as much or as little as you like)
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 bag of baby spinach
feta cheese (I used the tomato and basil kind)
You could also add tomato if you like them, I do not. Poor Tyler.
Cook orzo according to directions on the box. Let cool, then toss with black olives, celery, pepper, spinach, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well before serving. Store in the refrigerator.